The Fairphone is a phone made to be environmentally and socially friendly. The phone is made from tin and tantalum which are not as rare as other materials used to make phones, and are “conflict free resources”. The company claims to pay all their workers fair wages, and also provide an E-waste recycling program to reduce the environmental impact of the phone and battery. The phone without contract costs €325, or ~ $440.
You can check out the Fairphone or order one here: http://www.fairphone.com
- Dragontrail glass: Ultra thin and light; super durable and scratch-resistant
- Mediatek 6589 chipset: Quad core CPU for faster processing and page loading
- 16 GB internal memory: For music, movies, apps, games and more
- qHD display: 4.3 inches of touch-screen goodness
- Dual front/ rear camera: 8 mp + 1.3 mp for photos and video calls
- Android OS (4.2 Jelly Bean): Special interface developed by Kwame Corporation (Also open!)